Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Philagrafika Invitational Portfolio 2011




Monday evening and we welcomed both the print shops and artists participating in the ninth Philagrafika Invitational Portfolio. Everyone gathered at our apartment above the print studio in Old City.

Now some would say that I was a little crusty when people started arriving at, what I thought was early, but I got the time wrong and it was more a case of me being late. Of course  I am English so I expect everyone to be late anyway but once I got the mad panic out of the way (since I was a full 1/2 an hour behind everyone else) and with a drink or six to calm my nerves everything worked out great.

As my wife was in Florida, Michal Smith formerly of Silicon and more lately of Cradles to Crayons (www.cradlestocrayons.org) kindly helped out with the food especially the delicious home made chocolate cake.

The party gave everyone the chance to meet informally over food and drink and chat about what possibilities there may be with the various print shops the artists are working with.  For our part, Silicon will be working with Jennifer Levonian, we had a chance to meet for the first time and talk about how we might push the envelope a little. Everyone seemed to be very excited and I think that once again we will collectively produce a stellar portfolio. The participants are:

  • Henry Bermudez- Fabric Workshop and Museum
  • Dufala Brothers- CR Ettinger Studio
  • Jennifer Levonian- Silicon Gallery Fine Art Prints 
  • Alex Lukas- Borowsky Center for Publication Arts
  • Paul Swenbeck- Space 1026
  • Thomas Vance- Second State Press

The prints in the portfolio can be purchased individually or as a set. The prices are ridiculously low and it's a great opportunity to buy some great works from local artists. Many of the previous years works sold out quickly. You can see the past year prints on Philagrafika's web site (www.philagrafika.org).

Those who stayed a little longer were treated to an impromptu musical interlude by the Dufala Brothers - a kind of reprise of the opening part of their recent concert at Christ Church.


Posted by Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment